Sunday, January 14, 2007

Funny thing happened this afternoon

I went out to dinner at the Blue Frog. I wanted something Chinese but they were serving breakfast yet (4:00 p.m.) so I had to have a "safe" sandwich.

It is about a 15 minute walk to the Blue Frog. No problem. I walk about an hour every night after work. It is typically late at night after I get home from work but I insist on doing it. The clubhouse has a gym but haven't been there yet. I am not much for gyms but I will try it. Funny thing - Shelly was telling me about getting the house ready for sale and she mentioned that we had an excercise room in our basement. She even said it had a treadmill - you think I would have discovered that in the 5+ years we lived there.

Anyway, upon returning from dinner I usually stop at the Carrefour to get items. Tonight I wanted to bank some instant noodles in case I get hungry some evening this week. I am actually only eating one meal a day currently. It is at the cafe in the office. Usually rice, two meats, and two vegetables. I usually just point at something that looks edible. It doesn't look good but when it is your only meal you tend to overlook the unappealling presentation. Actaully the best thing about my diet is that I have eliminated Coke/Pepsi from my diet. Just water (bottled) and orange juice.

Anyway (part II), back to the funny story. At the Carefour you can get a hand basket or a cart. I had a basket since I only had 3 items. The store is packed on weekends. To give you an idea, they have 60 register lanes open and there is roughly 8-12 carts in each lane - incredible. On the very end there is an express lane if you have a basket - no carts. That line usually has about 10-12 people but it is quicker - until tonight. The lady if front of me had two carts full of items. She had one and her husband had another. To get around the rule of baskets only she stopped at the front of the lane and proceeded to unload everything in her cart into 13 hand baskets piled high - carried them 6 feet to the register. I didn't know how to act. I know in the States she would have been yelled at by every person in the line. She figured out the way to beat the system. The only other way to beat the crowd was another method that I observed last week. I was in the check out lane and one lane over was a lady who decided, while paying for her items, that it would be a good time to throw-up. Vomit went everywhere and she went running for a trash can - leaving a trail along the way. Pretty disgusting. Her line cleared out for about 15 seconds but then people realized that for a small inconvience of standing in someone's vomit you could get right to the register without having to wait.

OK - I got to do some work now. I have put it off all week and been avoiding it by writing these blogs today. I just need to buckle down and do it. HBO won't be a distraction tonight. I think there is a Robert Ulrich movie marathon on HBO tonight.

No comments: