Sunday, January 14, 2007

Back to College (part 2)

My first submission into the blog was a week ago. I titled it "Back to College" but never really got to the point. I started out talking about my flight and started to ramble. I had saved it as a draft copy but Shelly went ahead and published it.

My point to my first title blog was that title kept repeating itself in my mind in my first week in Shanghai. The whole experience felt like the time that I moved away to college. At that time, if felt like a big step in life. Leaving the comforts of home and heading into a new world. Obviously, my move to China is very similar. I have left the comforts of home and headed into a new world but on a much larger scale. My first weekend in Shanghai, I cleaned the master bedroom, master bathroom, and master bedroom closet. It felt so much like college – cleaning the joint from the previous tenants. Then when I was cleaning I realized that my home in Dayton was really nice. The woodwork, the cabinets, the caulking, etc. Those little things that go un-noticed until you don’t have them any longer. It is the same feeling I had when I moved to my first apartment in college. The new place that wasn’t as nice as the parent’s house but it was going to be my home for the next three years.

No comments: