Monday, June 20, 2011

Trust #30 - Speak Less by Laura Kimball

What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know I. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I once received a fortune cookie that read: “Speak less of your plans, you’ll get more done.” What’s one project that you’ve been sitting on and thinking about but haven’t made progress on? What’s stopping you? What would happen if you actually went for it and did it?
--------
I guess after all the musing I have done on this quest regarding my desire to start my own consulting business, moving away from that seems odd here. But in fact, reinventing my career is not a trivial project! However, in looking at my Evernote projects ( a favourite app of mine, which I highly recommend. Too bad I can't create a hyperlink on this damn iPad...) I see that "learn portrait photography is the project that has been on my to-list the longest. why? Hmm... Well, for one thing, I HATE having my own picture taken. It's a fact that can be by sampling from family albums and seeing a severe drop off about the age of 13. So the idea of taking portraits is not appealing personally. But I see that there is a lot of useful value in having this skill. Especially with Natalie who tends to be goofy in about 90% of the photos I take of her now. I do realise that this photography skill, while it seems straight forward, does in fact require more set up, more thought into the subject positioning, lighting, background. Pretty weak reason.

So, if I figured this out and actually worked on this, I guess there is nothing to fear. Just hasn't Ben a priority due to my distrust of this type of photography. It feels less real to me I guess.

Sigh... I guess Natalie's photograph will finally get taken this year...

No comments: