Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 7 #Trust - Dare to be bold by Matt Cheuvront

Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.

A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work


The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.

Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.

The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?
-------------
Wow, this one is hard. I have always prided myself on being realistic and now I find that being unrealistic is the key to greater success. Since being realistic is what has allowed me to live life without REGRETS, I am very hesitant to take this on. BUT, these 30 days are supposed to be about pushing yourself to be self-reliant so here goes...

I have always wanted to have my own company. However, I am VERY risk adverse and can think of MANY reasons why this won't work. I always was employed full-time before and didn't have time. I lacked the necessary entrepreneur spirit. I lacked a clearly defined market. Well, a lot of those roadblocks do not apply anymore. As a part of this quest to discover my self-reliant inner self, I need to at least put a plan together and take some risks. Even as I look to go back to work, I can use my 'free time" to put this plan together. So more on the specifics later.

No comments: