Monday, April 9, 2007

Ballet, Field Trip, and Easter

Wow, where does the time go? You'd think my social calendar was full, but alas, no. Instead, we are just busy getting used to life here I guess! I am covering three big topics, so apologies in advance on the length.

Natalie had her first ballet class last Thursday. The class is a part of Kid's Gallery Creative Arts which is located in a new building near Vizcaya. Natalie was excited until I parked the bike outside the building. Then I heard her say "Why do we have to do ballet? Mom? Why do we have to do ballet?" But I just pretended not to hear her as I took her out of the carrier on the bike. "Natalie," I said, "you have to be a big girl, OK?" and I looked her right in the eye to see if there was still wavering. I detected a bit, but not as much as I expected. So, we headed in to the building. There was one other girl there dressed in her tutu, but the classroom door wasn't opened yet. We sat in the plastic chairs outside the room. Natalie watched the teacher, a beautiful Asian woman with long hair in a ponytail, enter the room and then close the door. Her eyes lit up and a grin spread across her face! It was cute. So the plan was that I was going to go in with her. But, when the teacher opened the door, we heard her say "ballerinas only, say goodbye...". Oops. Natalie's eyes now had a a bit of a panic look to them! But, she did OK. She hung by the door for a minute or two and then teacher taught her to lift her tutu and showed her where to stand near the mirror. Once she left the door and couldn't see me, she was fine. There were only 4 other girls in the class. After the door closed, I realized had an hour to spend while I waited for her to finish. So I ran to the Pines and picked up some veggies for dinner and then headed back to wait for her. When she came out she almost looked like she didn't trust me to be there! But, she said she had a good time and it was fun. Natalie said afterwards that two of the other girls were not good listeners. I also found out on the ride back that she and one of the other girls had gotten in trouble for doing twirls when it was not their turn. I am not sure what exactly the learned, but Natalie seemed to like it. Maybe it will help gain some confidence in her dance lessons with Dad! Ha ha.

Last Friday we took a field trip to the Shanghai Children's Museum. The Shanghai Discovery Museum recently moved into the same building. On the first floor there was a model of a submarine and Natalie was enthralled! We spend almost 30 minutes in the first room! Natalie had a blast in the Discovery area. It was similar to the other museums she has been to with the play areas for shopping, veterinary clinic, a stage, etc. I took some pictures and some videos. You will have to check out the ones with her playing with the other Chinese children. A large kindergarten class of children came to the museum at lunch time so it got crowded. Natalie told me later that she was playing with them by being the "boss". Not much of a follower I am afraid!




Finally, Sunday was Easter. The sea shipment, which hasn't arrived yet, had our Easter paraphernalia in it, so Natalie's "basket" was the living room table. She got a large white chocolate bunny and a small milk chocolate and a couple of DVDs from the Easter Bunny. My mother has been laughing because one of the DVDs was Breakfast At Tiffany's. I had sent Tom out to buy a few DVDs, and I guess that was all he could find! She also had a gift from her Grandma and Grandpa Bramer and two cards. One of the cards had a picture of a farm and then stickers of animals you put on it. She had great fun playing that. Oh, and the pink sweatsuit is adorable! Thanks Sara!!! At noon, the three of us headed up the clubhouse for Easter dinner. A friend of mine, Debbie and her daughter Ainsley, came to our house and walked up with us. Ainsley brought Natalie a gift, a duck sponge and some bubble bath. Natalie acts so goofy around this little girl I am surprised she brought anything! Ainsley is a bit younger (a few months) and Natalie just does not relate well. Natalie insists on talking like a 6 year-old when Ainsley is around. What a goof she can be. Anyway, we headed up to the clubhouse and we sat on the terrace. It was a beautiful day here, not a cloud in the sky and around 68-70. The food was good and there was free champagne and drinks! Tom introduced me to a lot of new people, including quite a few people on our street. Unfortunately, I forget their names, but oh well!

We definitely missed our friends and families this holiday. We hope everyone had a good break and enjoyed Easter. We love you all and miss you!!!

No comments: