Thursday, June 21, 2012

Volunteer

Natalie decided that instead of begging for a dog, she would be proactive and work at a dog shelter or rescue organization when we returned to the U.S. We agreed that if she was volunteering time and they asked her to "foster" a dog, we would be open to that. Only good can come out of her learning to volunteer for things she is passionate about. Here is the letter she sent to a shelter in the Dayton area. She hasn't heard from them yet, but this made me smile anyway!

Dear Helpers and Founders at Puppy Pals Rescue,
My name is Natalie Bramer. I am nine years old. I currently live in Shanghai, China, where I have been living for the past five years.
I am emailing you to ask if I can help work and foster at Puppy Pals. I have always loved dogs and now want a chance to help them and spread dogs to loving, happy families. I want to help as many dogs as possible and give them the life they deserve.

A couple of years before I was born, my parents, Tom and Shelly Bramer, owned a teacup poodle that they had bought from a breeder. The poodle was too small to be a show dog, and was given to my parents agreeably. They named her Shelby. My first memory of my short life was her licking my cheek on Christmas morning when I was two. It was only three years after I met Shelby that she passed away while my mom was on a business trip.
I didn't really understand it at the time. I only remember that when I woke up the next morning, Shelby was not there.
When I was four years old I moved to Shanghai, a large, bustling city that was located in Eastern China. I begged for a dog, pleaded, coaxed, and asked and asked and asked for one. My parents said they would think about.
I found a particular breed I liked on my friends dog breed book. I did research on them, and found shelters in a suitable price range, driving distance and correct management. Dogs caught my eye and I asked my parents harder than ever.
This year, my mom suggested that I might prefer working at a animal shelter. At first, I was reluctant, but the more she talked about it, the more I was drawn to that idea.
I set to work looking for a reliable shelter that needed helpers, and after tiring and frustrating work, I found Puppy Pals Rescue. I looked at the dogs and noticed the paragraphs you submitted onto the website about needing Foster Parents. I would gladly accept any chance to care for a dog for periods of time.
Please reply back with your answer at natratb@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Natalie Bramer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter. You're raising a truly inspirational daughter. I hope she gets the job! :)