Thursday, January 5, 2012

Daily Picture Grade 4 - Day 79

Natalie is working on a story submission for a short-story contest. We (her teacher and I, not sure where Tom falls on this) thought it would be good to encourage her to get some of her stories out in public. She usually refuses to let anyone read them. So last night she was writing out a draft of the idea. Geesh! Talk about your troubled artists! Here is how the conversation went:
Me: You don't have to write chapters, it can only be 2000 words.
Nat: How am I supposed to tell a good story in that short of space?
Me: All your stories are good. Just write out your idea and the big "seeds" you want to include.
Nat: Mom, I know that. Stop giving me advice I already know. I am writing a reflection of living in China. I can't decide what shouldn't be included.
Me: That's perfect. Write them all down and we can talk through it.
She goes back to writing for 10 minutes...
Me: How's it going? Can I help? I have my own reflections on China, maybe that would help.
Nat: Seriously Mom, not helping. And I am now writing a realistic fiction about a girl who makes bad choices and has to get out of trouble all the time. But, it's just too hard to write such as short story. I'm already on Chapter 2.
Me: I don't think you want to use chapters, but ...
Nat: Hmmp.... This is just too hard! Why do they have that dumb rule about 2000 words. I can't write like this! You just don't know how frustrating it is to be an author with deadlines and restrictions. I'm going to go take a shower.
I snuck a look at her story after she left the computer. Let's just say that the angst directed at me as her "editor" might have been misplaced frustration. I hope her teacher has more luck talking her into a story today!
"I should NOT have tried to unplug the Wii!"

No comments: