Friday, July 13, 2007

On Being a Momma Bird

I believe that my mother would attest that I have always had a pretty active imagination. I can basically imagine an answer for any question you ask me and I can imagine a solution for any problem you have. However, I have learned that my level of activity is no where near a four-year old's level. I had no idea how much effort it takes to sustain playing momma bird with Natalie for more than five minutes. I am good for the few first minutes when she wants fed and then I quickly fade into annoyance! Poor baby bird. Sometimes I want to just throw her out of the nest! Almost every day since I have spent time at home with Natalie she has pretended to be either a baby bird and I have to be the momma bird, or a puppy and I have to be the mommy dog. At first it was cute, but now we have a rule that she has to ask if it is OK to play and do I want to play too. I know that sounds harsh, but trust me, the use of my imagination in this particular game tends to suck all the life out of my head! My theory is that the game allows Natalie to impose a significant amount of dependence on me and my mental state simply breaks down and blocks it! What a tremendous defense capability a human brain can exhibit.

Well, I have to make this a short. I have to go play mommy koala bear...

No comments: