Friday, July 6, 2007

How long was Michael Jordan’s retirement?

Ask my golf buddies in Dayton – they will confirm that I had announced my retirement from golf 328 days ago.

But this week I decided to take a vacation day and go golfing with Shelly. Only in China, does one have to take a vacation day on July 4th (actually that would be the case in any country but the U.S.). I didn’t really have the urge to golf. I had a greater curiosity to try out the new golf clubs that Shelly and I purchased about a month ago. Shelly and I each purchased the latest model of Callaway gold clubs - knock-offs for about $150

I had been curious on how they would perform. Would they break? Would they having the same striking capability as my old set?

Well, I am glad to report that they are built very solidly. I know three things for certain; 1. the hosel is strong; 2. the toe of the club head is solid; 3. the shaft can withstand high G-forces.

Shelly and I ended up only playing 9 holes. We really weren’t prepared for the round of golf. First, it was tremendously HOT. Secondly, I didn’t bring any suntan lotion to protect my scalp. Third, we probably didn’t have time to finish 18 holes. Finally, I didn’t have enough golf balls to finish another 9 holes.

I better get to the point before Shelly does but Shelly beat me fair and square. I was even playing from the women’s tees. She out drove me, out hit me on the fairway, but I probably beat her once we got around the green chipping and putting. I was very proud of her game because she hadn’t played in over a year. Matter of fact, with a year’s rust we both walked to the tee-box without going to the driving range or even the practice putting green. Shelly did really well. My game yesterday reminded me why I had retired 328 days previous. But I had fun and I will play again.

As I indicated previously, the next time I will be better prepared. I need to buy some balls, a golf glove, some tees, and bring proper golf attire. They were not going to let me play because I was not wearing the proper golf outfit. The course requires a “golf shirt with a collar and sleeves”. I guess my Tommy Bahama golf shirt was not appropriate. It is odd because a Tommy Bahama golf shirt is probably more formal than a traditional golf shirt. It has a collar and buttons down the front - top to bottom. They told me that I had to change. I argued briefly but they said they would give me a shirt to wear instead. They brought me a long-sleeved turtle neck shirt. I went into the locker room to change. I couldn’t get it over my shoulders. I was ticked so I went back out and said that I wasn’t going to wear the shirt. Told them that I was leaving and to put the clubs in my car. Well, the starter quickly got permission that I could wear my own shirt this time but next time I had to comply. It is funny because not allowing me to play due to my shirt was similar to telling someone that they could not be admitted to a business casual dinner because they wore a jacket and tie. But that is China – rules are rules and you don’t break the rules

No comments: