Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Natalie's Rough Week

We are still searching for an Ayi. I have been interviewing and following leads for most of this week. We know we don't want anyone to live with us and you have to watch out for Filipino's who will need papers or will need visa's approved. We have a Chinese lady we like, but we are not sure we need full time right now. Anyway, that is how that is progressing.

Poor Natalie! Monday and Tuesday were a little rough for her physically! I better be careful how I put this or my mother will have her removed from my care due to child abuse! I have been trying to work out and decided this week that Monday/Wednesday/Friday at 10:30 would work best. Natalie can stay in the Children's play area in the clubhouse and play and watch TV. They give you a small watchband and then the ladies there will keep an eye on them until you return. There are Chinese girls and ladies working there, so English not so good. Monday when I got back at 11:30 to get Natalie, she was watching TV, which didn't surprise me at all. Then she came walking over to me and grabbed my leg and hugged it really hard, burying her head into my thigh. She said "I have something to tell you, but I will tell you outside". I thanked the lady who came over and got my watch thing, and then we stepped outside. Natalie told me as we walked to the bike that she had fallen down off of the rope climber and hurt her back! She said she had cried as she couldn't breathe. Wow. Poor thing. She said she never wanted for me to leave her alone again! YIKES!!! She laid down after lunch and I think she probably did bruise her back a little, though I couldn't see anything. I later got out of her that she had climbed up to the top of this thing and couldn't get down, so she jumped. Not sure it could have been more than 4 feet, but if you know Natalie, then you know that grace is NOT her middle name. Just like her mom. The rest of the day she also complained every time she had to ride in the child carrier on the bike. She kept yelling at me to NOT hit the bumps. Right. Finally, we just went back home and I gave up trying to get anything done. So that was Monday. On Tuesday, we rode our bike up to the JinQiao Green Sports & Leisure Center where there is the Carrefour, restaurants, etc. There is a big store there, B&Q, which is like a Home Depot. After walking through, Natalie and I headed to the Carrefour to do our daily grocery shopping. As we were walking, I tripped on a concrete step that was sort of stuck out in the middle of the street. Very common, I am sure there was no purpose for it. Unfortunately I was holding Natalie's hand and when I fell, instead of letting her go, I pulled her with me. So we both ended up sprawled on the road. Natalie skinned her hand up and cried. I just felt like a fool. The good thing is that Shanghai is just like New York or other big cities, everyone ignored us. We got up, brushed off, and the promise of chocolate quieted Natalie after a bit. THEN, we stopped later at a German Bakery to get some fresh baked bread (definitely one of the perks!) and as I picked her up and out of the seat on the bike, she fell when I went to put her down! That accident cost me two chocolate truffles from inside the bakery! Today, Wednesday, we are going to try another bike ride. Wonder if this one will have any exciting events!

No comments: