Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

This morning is Mother's Day. A holiday that for many years meant remembering to send/buy a card for all the mother's in my life. I never really thought it would be my turn to wait for some little recognition of the things you do as a mother. I've had 8 years of  motherhood and every years brings new highs and lows. 

This year brought new challenges. Glasses. First lie. Contrariness just because. Greek mythology. Chasing boys on the playground. And new discoveries. Overcoming fear to watch Harry Potter. Superheroes. Caring about hair. Participating in Character Day. Chasing boys on the playground. 

I love being a mother. That alone is a huge surprise for me. I'd like to believe that this has made me a better person, but frankly, that was never the objective. I do know that we are lucky enough to have a beautiful, healthy daughter. She is the love of  our life. And that also reminds me that it takes two to make the world go around. So Mother's Day also makes me appreciate how much easier it is with Tom here. Not just because he is Natalie's father, but because he is a wonderful, loving husband. What helps make me a good mom is to have someone to hand off to when the heat is too much for me. And that works as long as it does not happen when he is on a business trip!!!

Natalie gave me her Mother's day card this morning. Please note that this was not an "original". Though I do know she had to add a few flourishes of her own near the end. She took the poem from a Calvin and Hobbes book. But even though the effort was not original, she was up after bed time last night pouring through her three HUGE Calvin and Hobbes books looking for the poem! She was so tired, but begged to stay up a little longer to finish her card. So my real gift was my daughter laying on the floor surrounded by her open books creating something for me that she felt would express her love. Another year accomplished.

Without further ado, below is her Mother's day card to me. 

I was going to buy you a card 
with hearts of pink and red, 
but then I thought I'd rather 
spend the money on me instead. 
It's awfully hard to buy things 
when one's allowance is so small, 
so, I guess you're pretty lucky I got you 
anything at all.
 Happy Mother's Day to you. 

There I said it. Now, I'm done.
 So, how 'bout getting out of bed, 
and cooking breakfast for
your favorite child (well, only one).

Just joking,
Love,
Natalie
the pretty, smart, popular mature, 8 year old girl.

No comments: