Thursday, March 17, 2011

Photography = Mathematics? Horrid!

So I am ver disappointed to learn that to become a better photographer I really need to know math. Specifically fractions. Which is ironic considering that Natalie and I are practicing fractions each night on her math homework. Anyone who knows me, I mean really knows me, will attest my long term frustration with the rules that math imposes. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY logical and mathematics does impose a neat set of logical rules. But I also have a large amount of BS running through my brain which kicks in anytime I recognise that logically I cannot follow a set of rules that I do not remember.

Now I learn that these rules may be critical to assisting me to adjust my photograph lighting to match what I want to see. Too much light? Reduce the aperture to increase the shutter speed. How much? Well, simple silly! Calculate it based on your ISO and current aperture. Just double the fractions. No wait, half the fraction. Wait, you have to factor in the incident light your subject is getting? What? Don't worry, just ensure your reflected light is an equal balance of the black and white in the pictures. She's wearing red. Doesn't matter, it's grey. But he's got a green bag. Oh, slight problem, green reflections are actually black not grey. The right answer is f8 1/125. What the ...??

Just writing this is stressing me out. I have now decided that I will only shoot pictures outside, of a bride and groom standing side by side.

No comments: