Sunday, May 30, 2010

iPad Experience - Week 2

So, the inability to attach the network basically rendered the iPad into an expensive toy. At least at this point as we had few offline applications downloaded or content available. But all three of us were able to complete the Mahjong Quest! I was able to trick the iPad into a bit of internet connectivity this week, but that lasted < 5 minutes. I was trying to use the Kindle for iPad application, which is supposed to use Whispernet, and I was able to use the Safari browser. But connectivity stopped after about 4 minutes. Was not able to duplicate that afterwards.


To address the connectivity problem, we ended up purchasing an a Apple AirPort Express for about $115 (yes, even more money thrown at Apple!).The other option was to upgrade our existing router, but we currently have a NetGear RangeMax, which was pretty good it's in day. Our main internet access is ADSL via a DSL modem which is downstairs in the basement, which is then connected to an Ethernet network. So our existing router is connected to one of the ports in the office. I was still not 100% convinced that replacing our router would resolve the issue that iPad requires wireless support of the latest wireless standard, 802.11n. So, instead, I simply plugged it in to the power outlet and then connected to our existing network via Ethernet cable. 


[Oh, and a quick digression. The router, showed in the picture here to the left, has the plug directly on the device, no cord. As a Windows user, it is hard for me to get used to the design aspects associated with the Apple products. I have several derogatory remarks about this product design, but as I am no Apple expert, I will ignore that for now. Let's just summarize it by my feeling that it seems both under- and over-engineered! ] 


After connecting, the modem went through its start up cycle (solid amber) and then began blinking. Then, we turned on the iPad, and VOILA! It connected. That simple. It found the network, and since I had not yet installed the Airport Base Station Agent software, there was not security, so it simply connected as a preferred network. I was able to access Goggle Mail from it, and feel like that might be a good use for the device in the future. Tom immediately downloaded some more games and I didn't see he or Natalie without the iPad in hand until much later in the day! 


As of this morning, 16 hours later, the connection is still active an no problems. I have some complaints (the software for the router is a pain, the strength of the connection varied widely even when it is sitting in a location one meter from the router, why is Whispernet not working). But the sun is out this morning and I am going to putter around with my flowers!  More later this week!

No comments: