Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interesting Packaging

So, this happens a lot, Chinglish on items you get or purchase here in China. I have determined that the fascination must be with the Latin characters, as more often than not, the actual usage of those letters in a word or phrase does not make sense. However, this one is especially hilarious!
After Easter, I grabbed a bag from our stock of recycled bags and put all of Natalie’s Easter Candy into it.
DSC_5326
And more than a week later, we still have some candy left. Last night, I was sitting at the table just staring at the bag (wishing I could eat a chocolate egg, but that should be another post) and finally read the stuff that was written on the outside of it. Imagine my surprise when I took a good look and read a VERY inappropriate phrase on it! [Note to keep the blog a bit cleaner, I will not type it, but check out the top left corner of the picture below!
DSC_5325
So of course I emptied the bag and placed the bag into our “We love China” box. Oh, and to explain how this happens, we can blame myspace, facebook, etc. When I googled that specific phrase, I received 20,800,00 hits primarily due to social networking entries. Oh, and don’t forget Big telling Carrie he loves her on Sex and the City Season 02, episode 10! Someone in China watches that, sees that the phrase takes off and decides it would be perfect on a bag printed cheaply and used for fake market purchases.

No comments: