Friday, January 25, 2008

One Week Back - a Short Theosophy

So, one week back in Shanghai. Got to see most of my friends back here already. Natalie is finally adjusted to the time change. And I got to exercise again. Back to NORMAL? Maybe. I had intentionally scheduled this week with a lot of down time so I could take my time getting back into the rhythm of life here. But I really spent more time considering the pluses and minuses of my first home visit. I have talked a bit with my friends here and realize that when you go home, every one's lives, including your own, continue to move on. But the lives we chose to live here in another country seem to put us on a very different path. So when you go home you find that the commonality you had before is harder to re-establish. Don't get me wrong, it is wonderful to see your family and friends. Catching up is just a bit different when you know you will separate again to lead dissimilar lives.

Maybe that all sounds negative, but really it is not. It was just insightful to learn about what has happened to me over the past year. If I judge myself against who I used to be, then I feel that I have come quite far. I set some personal goals for myself before I came and I have realized many of them. Not ready to share them here, but hopefully if you know me it is noticeable!

Well, gotta get ready for Mandarin class. That is my latest focus. I want to try to get "Conversational"!

No comments: