Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fabric Market Trips

Here in Shanghai, there is no really easy way to buy new clothes if you have a western build. However, you can take clothes you have to the Fabric Market and have them copied. You can also just generally describe the article of clothing that you want or desire and they will try to create something similar for you. So, I have had an opportunity to do both. Let me describe what the market is like. There are three floors of stalls in the building, with stalls specializing in different types of materials such as silk, cotton, linen, etc. Some shops that sell buttons, belts, etc. Many of the stalls specialize in the Chinese style with traditional patterns, really beautiful. So you shop around for both the materials and the seamstress/tailor. Then you pick your material, state your design, and bargain for the price. When you pick it up, you try it on and most stores will adjust if it is not quite right. I had an Ann Taylor Loft skirt copied and it cost 120RMB or about $15.25. The original skirt, which I bought on sale, cost me $29. Plus the material I selected was a bit more luxurious. So, I think it was a decent deal. But, I don't have a shirt to match yet. What a goof I am. Today I went back to another stall to pick up another shirt I had ordered. It was just white, with some poofy type of material, and I had wanted a v-neck. Well, I ended up with about the plainest shirt I own (and I own some pretty boring clothes!). The craftsmanship is just so-so on the shirt. The skirt, on the other hand, was really good! So, today I also ordered a linen shirt to match my skirt. Tom also stopped with me on Saturday so that he can get some pants that fit. For about $22, he has ordered a pair of blue wool-cotton blend pants, just for everyday wear. We will see how those turn out. Tom also needed a new sports jacket, so rather than risk the idea of using a "stall" to get something that important, we went deep into the city to find a good tailor. So Tony the Tailor is currently making Tom a beautiful black, cashmere blend suit (we decided to get a pair of matching pants so he can wear it as a suit) and a custom made shirt. All for a little less than $200. We will also see how that turns out. If it seems OK, we are taking all of his pants in to get them altered! No more hillbilly pleats! Stay tuned for more...

No comments: